Friday, September 27, 2013

Band Review: Space March


Where Space March first grabbed me was with the track "Mountain King", referencing Edvard Grieg's "In The Hall of the Mountain King" from Peer Gynt.
It wasn't the first track I listened to, and it certainly wasn't the first time synthesizers gave pop life to a classical tune. The iconic notes grabbed my attention though, and combined with Craig Simmons' voice to create something that felt seductive and perilous. As you listen more, the peril is not that there will be sudden violence, but an inexorable loop that you can't escape. It feels unanswerable, and it works.
My other favorite track from the Mountain King album was "You Are Electric", but the album is strong overall. I believe I liked it best of the other albums. There are not dramatic departures from the synthpop style of his earlier work, but I think he is on an upward trajectory.
Music can be purchased via the Space March web site and through Amazon. The web site also has three videos, which are also available on Youtube, but they are pretty perfunctory. "You Get What You Deserve" is the best of them, but really, the songs are way better than the videos.

No comments: